Refund and TransferPrivacy Policy


Refunds, transfers and complaints

How do I contact City Lit to give feedback?

Details on how to get in touch with us can be found on our Get In Touch page. This includes details on how to make a complaint.

Can I transfer from one course to another? 

We want to ensure that you are on the most suitable course, so have changed our transfer policy for 2016/17 to make it more flexible, in response to your feedback.

We will transfer you to another course (or multiple courses), if we receive a written request from you, before the 3rd session of your course takes place. If the course(s) you’re transferring onto are more expensive, you will need to pay the difference before we can transfer you.  If your new course(s) are cheaper, we will retain any difference in fee.

Please note that we can only transfer you to a course that has available space.  We can normally only transfer courses within the same academic year.  However, if you are transferring from a summer school course, you can choose another course taking place in the Autumn term.   

>> Request your transfer here

Alternatively, you can also:


Post your transfers request - please mail it to: City Lit, Keeley Street, London, WC2B 4BA

If you are unable to request your transfer in writing, please ring us on 020 7831 7831 or visit the Information and Bookings Desk.


Will I be able to get a refund if I change my mind?

We will be happy to refund your fees provided we receive your written request at least one week (7 calendar days) before your course starts. We will charge you a 20% administration fee, with a minimum of £10.00 per refunded course. 

Please note that our refund policy has changed, as of 8 June 2016, for all 2016/17 course bookings.  We will continue to honour one day's notice for any course taking place in June, July and August 2016.  

>> Request a refund

When and how will I receive my refund? 

We will try to refund all students within 2-3 weeks of receiving a request, and this is often a lot sooner. We will refund via the same method in which you originally paid. However, if you paid by cash, we will refund you by cheque. We will also send you a refund receipt in the post as confirmation of your refund. 

What if my course is cancelled?

Very few courses at City Lit are cancelled. If we have to cancel a course and cannot offer a suitable alternative we will give you a full refund and a £5 City Lit class voucher as compensation for your disappointment.  We'll also try and prioritise these requests so that you don't need to wait 2-3 weeks for your refund. 

Please note:  We regret that we cannot accept liability for an inability to provide courses where these are affected by circumstances beyond our reasonable control, for example, industrial action, public transport disruptions or severe weather.

Can I apply for a refund if I am made redundant?

You can apply for a refund if you are made redundant and wish to leave your course. Read more about help for people made redundant. 

Where can I read your full refund and transfer policy?

Read our refunds and transfers policy or you can request the full refund policy at our Information and Bookings desk, reception, or Student Centre.